Be an Innovator
Those that aren’t content with accepting what is already out there are those that will forever be remembered. If you think of all the things we rely on today, all the things we have become so comfortable with, we often forget that at one point they were merely ideas. Ideas that when expressed, were often considered crazy and impossible to bring to life. But the people who brought life to these very ideas never let the doubts and worries of others hinder them. They believed that with hard work and perseverance, anything could be done.
This mindset is one that needs to be nursed and encouraged in more individuals. The following list consists of the top 10 inventors of all time; put together by Biographyonline.net:
1. Thomas Edison (1847-1932): Among the 1,000+ patents he filed, Edison is responsible for the electric lightbulb, phonograph, and motion picture camera.
2. The Wright Brothers: Designed, built, and flew the first successful aircraft.
3. Benjamin Franklin (1705-1790): Discovered electricity and the Franklin stove.
4. Charles Babbage (1791-1871): First mechanical computer; something we all know and love.
5. James Watt (1736-1819): Invented the steam engine.
6. Alexander Bell (1847-1922): Invented the first practical telephone.
7. Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519): Recognized for one of the greatest ever minds; invented models that have worked 3-500 years later.
8. Galileo (1564-1642): Developed a powerful telescope as well as an improved compass.
9. Tim Berners Lee: Responsible for the development of the http:// for the internet, making the web freely available.
10. Archimedes (287 BC-c. 212 BC): Worked out pi as well as invented the screw that lifts water from mines and wells.
Stir up the inner inventor in yourself. When you push your mind to think creatively and uniquely, that is when great things happen. Be bold, dream big, and allow nothing to prove too large for you!
One of the inventions that has put ease into the lives of many, was thought up by our very own Swingline brand. By inventing a new way to open staplers (from the top) we were the first ones that allowed users to simply drop in a row of staples, making refilling faster and easier. Swingline has continued to be innovators in this arena and recently created the QuickLoad™ function. Featured on our SmartTouch® staplers, the QuickLoad magazine ejects from the front of the stapler with the push of a button. Plus, SmartTouch staplers are low force – meaning it takes 50% less effort to staple when compared to traditional desktop models.
Dream big, think big, do big! You are capable of accomplishing anything you put your mind to, so set your expectations high and work until you reach them.
By: Emily K, Swingline Intern