Your fingerprint is a mark of your individuality. Not one other than you, can leave the same imprint. It cannot be duplicated, no matter how hard one may try. Too many people turn away from who they are and try instead to mirror those around them who they have seen as successful. What they often fail to realize in this though, is that those very people they’re following have become successful due to the simple fact that they are real, and raw, and different from others. Be a person who is confident in your own ability and strive to be the best version of yourself.
Those who are different are often the first to be noticed. To better illustrate this, we have created an image out of Color Bright staples using a 747® Rio Red Stapler. What’s one of the first things you notice in this image? Is it not the one blue staple in the midst of all the red? Our eyes are naturally drawn to those things that are different. If you as an individual can be this blue staple in a crowd of red, you’re sure to be recognized and remembered.
It’s believed that to become wise, one must first surround themselves with wise individuals. With this in mind, we often turn towards accomplished, well respected and influential people when seeking council and inspiration. Because of this, we have included below a handful of quotes said by incredible people that touch on this individuality we all seek:
1. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Resist the need to conform to the world surrounding you and instead take pride knowing that you as an individual have stood out and are making a difference.
2. “In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.”
A woman of fashion, Coco Chanel realized the need for people who are different. She puts it as straightforward as it can get; if you have something that others do not, there will always be a need for you and your skill set.
3. “We are sun and moon, dear friend; we are sea and land. It is not our purpose to become each other; it is to recognize each other, to learn to see the other and honor him for what he is: each the other’s opposite and complement.”
-Hermann Hesse, Narcissus and Goldmund
Remember to acknowledge the unique skills others offer and that they can work in conjunction with what you have. Two minds are better than one; allow masterpieces to be created when working with another.
4. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”
There is something to be learned from those that jump off the trail and start their own journey. While it is sometimes a risky move, you’ll often discover things that wouldn’t have been discovered otherwise.
5. “Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.”
Your thoughts and ideas need to be shared because your contribution can make all the difference. Never shy away from speaking up in discussions but instead jump at the idea of it. What you have to offer in group settings is necessary for the success of the whole.
6. “Your handwriting. The way you walk. Which china pattern you choose. It’s all giving you away. Everything you do shows your hand. Everything is a self portrait. Everything is a diary.”
-Chuck Palahniuk, Diary
Think of life as a trail of breadcrumbs that you have left for others to track. Everything you touch, everything you become a part of, is going to be remembered by someone. The legacy you leave is one you should be proud of, so put your own personal touch into everything you do.
So – leave your fingerprint. Be confident in your own ability as an individual. And steer clear of falling in with the majority. Allow yourself to be yourself; you’ll be noticed and respected because of this.
By: Emily K, Swingline Intern